Did you know that we also see ferrets, rabbits, sugar gliders, and other types of pocket pets?
learn more

Subcutaneous fluids are fluids injected under the skin to help correct or prevent dehydration. Your veterinarian may suggest that you administer fluids subcutaneously to your pet at home.

Dr. Waller with Puppy MurraySimply follow the steps below or watch Dr. Waller's video tutorial to learn more.

  1. Prepare your fluid set:
    • Remove the cap on the fluid bag
    • Press the spike of the fluid line into the fluid bag
    • Twist the needle (usually an 18 gauge needle) onto the end of the fluid line

  2. Run fluid into the fluid line and then close the fluid line using the roller clamp

  3. Have someone gently restrain your pet

  4. Gently lift up on the skin above the shoulder blades so that it forms a triangle or tent.

  5. Remove the cap from the needle and insert the needle into the skin triangle firmly.

Lily Toxicity in Cats

Lilies can be deadly to cats.Many people bring plants into their homes during the springtime. This can be an exciting time for curious cats, but also potentially dangerous.

Unlike most poisonous plants, which cause mild gastrointestinal signs in cats (decreased appetite, hypersalivating, vomiting, diarrhea), lilies are potentially deadly. Every part of the plant should be considered toxic, including the pollen, stem, leaf, flower, and water drained through the plant.

Not all lilies are toxic, but distinguishing various species by sight can be difficult, as many look similar. Poisonous lily species include but are not limited to: Easter, Tiger, Day, Star Gazer, Oriental, Wood, Red, and Asiatic Lilies.

Lilies are unique in that a very small amount, if ingested, can cause kidney failure. The first signs you may see are decreased appetite, lethargy, and vomiting. If you observe your cat eating or drinking from a pot containing lilies, bring it to a veterinarian immediately. Most cats will require hospitalization with intravenous fluids to help flush the toxins out of their system. The most important treatment for lily toxicity is aggressive therapy right away!